I’m not big on the Superbowl.
I have nothing against it, I’m just not super into football. It’s probably my Canadianess and my inability to understand any co-ordinated activity.
However, with big American events come big American food.
Food that is often ooey, gooey and terrible for you.
I love that kind of food.
Something about American treats often involve hybrid desserts. It’s the insatiable joy of consuming things that you must pause a second before you put in your mouth because you’re not sure if it’s going to be worth it.
It’s always worth it.
Even when it makes your tummy feel ballooned and its contents won’t stop churning because the chili queso hybrid you ate before a huge s’mores rice krispies treat are not playing well with one another.
It’s worth it because you got to eat chili-queso and s’mores rice krispies treats. And there also may be some credit due to the Indian samosas, chicken fingers or spinach dip that you ate so much of. The spinach dip was healthy though. Spinach. Right?
If all of those above things are not good enough reasons for you, I’m not sure we really understand each other.
Because food. Sweet, fatty, inappropriately heavy food.
If you can’t succumb to gluttony while watching the Superbowl, when can you?
Well… that and the holidays. And your birthday. And when your grandma visits.
And you know. Wednesdays.
I’m really good at coming up with reasons to eat ridiculously.
I may not understand football… but I understand toasted marshmallows.
Did I ever mention that the word “sugar” is tattooed on my body?
I really like food.
I will watch football for food.
Tell your friends.
S’mores Rice Krispies Treats
Recipe from Bakers Royale
- 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Rice Krispie Layer
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bag (10 1/2 oz) mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Cocoa Rice Krispie cereal
- 5 oz. chocolate, melted
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Crust: Place graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a bowl and toss to combine. Add in melted butter and mix to combine. Press mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Rice Krispie Layer: Place butter and marshmallows in a pan over low heat to melt. Stir melted ingredients until combined. Cool slightly.
- Add in Cocoa Rice Krispies and stir to combine, making sure the marshmallow is evenly distributed.
- Spread melted chocolate over crust then quickly press finished mixture into pan. (The chocolate acts as a glue between the crust and the Krispies, so don’t let it harden before the second layer is on!) Set pan aside to cool and set.
- Marshmallow Layer: Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl placed over simmering water. Bring mixture to 160 degrees F while whisking constantly.
- Transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl, fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium high speed (speed 8 on a KitchenAid stand mixer) until mixture cools and doubles in volume and forms stiff peaks; about 10-12 minutes.
- Spread marshmallow over the Rice Krispie layer evenly, then using swiping motions with a spoon or spatula, make little decorative swirls in the top.
- Place assembled pan with topping under broiler for 1-2 minutes or until top starts to turn golden. Keep door open to check for doneness – the topping goes from golden to burnt very quickly. Alternately, use a kitchen torch to toast (my favourite technique!).
… I love smores
I love rice crispies.
I must try this…and add banana. Because a REAL smore has banana.
this is so complicated
Can’t wait to try! :)
Can I cheat and top with marshmallow fluff? I have lots of snacks to make for a youth night at church — and not tons of time :)
Looks divine <3
Sure! I think that could work just fine. Although I’ve never torched marshmallow fluff before, so you might want to test torch a little teaspoon of it on a plate to avoid accidentally setting a whole pan of treats on fire! ;)
Ha Ha Ha! Great idea :) Some people like burnt s’mores – but I am not one of them.
Kedves KÃ¡roly!ValÃ³ban kissÃ© fÃ©lreÃ©rthetÅ‘ volt, Ã©n ugyanis nem lÃ¡tok ilyen hibaÃ¼zenetet (nem KSO-m van). Javaslataim: menÃ¼bÅ‘l ÃºjraindÃtÃ¡s (restart). Ha utÃ¡na sem javul, vissza a feladÃ³nak:-) Amazon Ã¼fllÃ©lszoggÃ¡yata vÃ©lhetÅ‘en megoldja, bÃ¡r mivel KSO-t itthonrÃ³l nem tud venni, a beszerzÃ©si forrÃ¡snak kell valÃ³szÃnÅ±leg segÃtenie.Ã‰rdekes kÃ©rdÃ©s, vajon mitÅ‘l ment el a wifi? Nem prÃ³bÃ¡lta a KSO-t legyilkolni? (Gonosz kÃ©rdÃ©s, belÃ¡tom, de ha igen, az kellemetlen)